Carlaw Industrial Centre
Carlaw Industrial CentreCarlaw Industrial CentreCarlaw Industrial CentreCarlaw Industrial CentreCarlaw Industrial CentreCarlaw Industrial CentreCarlaw Industrial Centre


This photo is Jefferson-Acme complex from 1919 [exactly 100 years ago].
Heritage

A major producer of blown and pressed glass in Ontario opened factory here in the early 1910s. By 1918 The Jefferson Glass Co. was making about 35,000 light bulbs a day. in 1931 The Acme Paper Box Co. bought this factory. Acme remained family business until 1964 when it become paper mill. Mill moved away in 1980s and buildings were later refurbished and now houses many small businesses.



Heritage Toronto placed this plaque in our complex in 2018.

     
Carlaw Industrial Centre, Toronto The black and white photo on the left was taken around 1930 from the direction of Union Station looking north east. It is likely that the chimneys visible in the distance are those of our complex, seen on the far right photograph. Carlaw Industrial Centre, Toronto
     
Photo on the left was taken around 1925 on the corner of Danforth Avenue and Broadview just a few hundred yards from our location. The photograph on the right depicts a streetcar driving along Queen Street East at the begining of the 20th century.

More photos of
the area on

the next page

created by design.urbansquares.com :: updated at October 28, 2020